Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: New to charts and need to drill down Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
DBlank

Online Status: Offline
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:44am
I could definately be wrong on this but...
My understanding of chart drill down is really it is only acting the exact same as drilling down using a group name or group summary field in a GH or GF.
You can really ignore the chart all together to start with.
Try to understand your report from the group and the drill down using groups and there structure only first. Once you get how drilling into each group header works you can relate the group header to the bar in the chart that it represents. That bar will drill down the same as the group you drilled into inside the report.
Here is an example to help explain.
When using 2 levels of charts, you are not really drilling from one chart into another chart. You are drilling from the report header where your first chart was placed, into a group header where your second charts was placed so it looks like your drilling into another chart.

IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 6:00am
I have been given an old report that was used here.  It goes down like 5 levels or more in charts.

I created my report the same way as the older one was, but I am still not getting the right results.

I can go from chart 1 to chart 2, no problem.  It is when I try to go to chart 3 that I have an issue.  From chart 2, every chart after that is on the next page like a regular report.  No on a single page as if you were drilling down into it.

Something else I noticed, I cannot get the GROUP layout in the Chart Expert to be available to me.

I put the charts in Group Headers so I don't know why I cant get them to "Drill Down" like from chart 1 to chart 2.

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 4:37am

group option is only available when you use an insert summary function on the group. Just because you have a summarized field does not mean it folowed the rules for making it available. If you use the Sigma sign to insert the summary then it meets the rules.

You cannot drill from chart 2 into chart 3 if they are at the same group level. You have to have another group below 2 it to keep drilling into it. Your charts 2 and 3 are both inside the same group level (manger field). That is not drilling down, that is more like sliding laterally and there is no function to do that.
Does that help explain?

Edited by DBlank - 22 Jan 2013 at 4:38am
IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:24am
I figured that one out this morning.  I can now drill down to every level I need to for charting.

Now I need to display the details of the data behind the chart.

Here is what I did, not sure if there is a better way to do it.

I unsupressed the details.
This gave details but no headers.

I moved the details headers around and wound up putting them in the last groups header.  Told it to not do new page after.  I now have headers but only on the first page of the details.

How can I get the header to appear on each page of the details, like a page header?
I tried it in page header and it did nothing.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:31am

there are some other things you can use.

for the headers go into the group expert
select the group you want to edit
click on options
select options tab
check the 'repeat group headers on each page' as true

for how to show the details when drill down you can use a formual for suppressing and use the drilldowngrouplevel function
When you opena report it =0 when you drill into one group it = 1, etc.

IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:31am
Sorry for not chiming in earlier, got pulled off on another project.

The Group Expert option worked perfectly.
This report now works like I believe it should.

I appreciate all of the help.
Will see what the customer thinks of my efforts.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version