Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: SQL connection missing table fields Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
benwsear

Online Status: Offline
Quote benwsear Replybullet Topic: SQL connection missing table fields
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 5:25am
Hello all. I'm new to Crystal XI and am trying to connect to a dataset to run some reports from it. The problem is I can connect to the tables but some fields are not present in my Field Explorer.

The connection I am using is called 'OLE DB ADO - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL server' and is connecting to a Microsoft Dynamics NAV system.

The fields that are missing are classed as decimal data type in NAV. However, some other decimal types are appearing as numbers etc.

Is this a problem with Crystal XI not being able to see decimal field types? Or is it something else?

I can't really change the field types in NAV to number (or something like that) as it is a huge system and I am only tasked with reporting from it.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to see the missing fields in Crystal? Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I'm using Crystal 11 v 11.0.0.1282 and my connection is direct to the data source using the above SQL provider.

Many thanks for any help in advance. Ben.

Edited by benwsear - 14 Aug 2012 at 5:30am
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 6:35am
The only times I have had an issue with seeing fields in CR is if there is an security issue with the database.  I wish I had a better answer.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:31am
Usually the OLEDb driver for SQL Server works best, but might want to try to create an ODBC connection to the database and determine whether you can see the fields using that instead of the OLEDb connection.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
benwsear

Quote benwsear Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 8:28pm
Thanks.

Tried the ODBC connection and still can't see the relevant table fields. Quite baffled now. Very bizarre.

Thanks again.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 4:21am
What version of SQL Server are you connecting to?  IIRC, there were some new field types added to SQL Server in the latest release and Crystal XI is older software that may not recognize the field type.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
benwsear

Quote benwsear Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 4:27am
Originally posted by hilfy

What version of SQL Server are you connecting to?  IIRC, there were some new field types added to SQL Server in the latest release and Crystal XI is older software that may not recognize the field type.

-Dell

Hello Dell.

Our SQL Server is version 2008.

When I connect through Crystal XI though, I have to connect through the Microsoft Provider that I noted in my first post.

The SQL and the tables/system are held on a their own server that I connect to using the above method. I can't really plug directly into the tables.

Thanks for your help. I'm quite new to this so please bear with me. :)

Edited by benwsear - 15 Aug 2012 at 4:28am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 4:46am
The provider may include the fields but if Crystal doesn't recognize the field type it won't display them.

Can you connect to the database using SQL Server Management Studio or another tool and look at the structure of the table to see what type the missing fields are?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
benwsear

Quote benwsear Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 4:48am
Originally posted by hilfy

The provider may include the fields but if Crystal doesn't recognize the field type it won't display them.

Can you connect to the database using SQL Server Management Studio or another tool and look at the structure of the table to see what type the missing fields are?

-Dell

Thanks.

I connected to the table in question directly in NAV and it said the field type was 'Decimal'.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 5:01am
I believe that is one of the new field types.  How much control do you have in the database?  How are your SQL skills? Can you create a view?  If so, you could create a view that just returns the data from the table but casts the decimal fields as numbers.  If not and your SQL skills are good, you could create a command (SQL Select statement) in Crystal that will pull all of the data for your report, casting the decimal fields as numbers.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
benwsear

Quote benwsear Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:34pm
Thanks again Dell.

My SQL skills are very, very basic. However, I do work very closely with two SQL developers so they can lend me a hand with this.

I have been looking at Crystal Reports 2011. Do you know if this would handle a problem like this better? Our company has been very slow on the uptake with Crystal and we're still moving away from 8.5!!

Also, do you know if the 2011 is different enough to XI to not update it on an install? The reason I ask is because we have 8.5 and XI sat beside each other on the same machine, and they don't seem to affect each other. However, I'm not sure if the same could be said with XI and 2011.

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version