Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Users need to refresh data Post Reply Post New Topic
Chronicide

Online Status: Offline
Quote Chronicide Replybullet Topic: Users need to refresh data
    Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:32am
Hi all,

I have Crystal Reports 2008, and I've been creating a number of reports that leverage the data from our various databases. There is only one other person aside from myself ho has Crystal Reports.

To date, the two of us have been taking report requests from everyone else in our organization. We run the report, refresh the data and export to PDF.

This is becoming too much, and we would like other members of our organization to be able to run the reports we build for themselves. We looked into the Crystal Report Viewer from SAP, but you cannot refresh reports that aren't hosted on a BusinessObjects Enterprise Server.

Ideally, we would like them to be able to do so for free, but I understand that that may be hoping for too much. What is the most cost effective way to get 10-50 people refreshing our reports?

I'm also a programmer... would I be breaking the terms of serivce if I created a wrapper for the viewer that simply tacks on the ability to refresh?

Thank you for your time. I hope I'm asking this in the right section. If not, just let me know and I'll move it.

- Scott
IP IP Logged
rleighton

Quote rleighton Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:48am
The best and most efficient way (NOTICE: not the cheapest) to distribute reports for other users is the Business Objects server.  Depending on the size of your organization and how important this reporting capbility is, it really makes the most sense to do it this way.  However, at my company, we also have a program that leverages the Crystal Runtime XI to publish reports via VB6.  Basically you have a repository of .rpt files and then launch them via the VB app using the runtime.  The advantages of the server over the app method are as follows:

- Users can schedule reports
- You can modify the source w/out interupting service of said report
- Infoview is runs in a browser
- You have SAP support incase you get into a bind (I'm sure there could be a healthy debate about whether or not this is an advantage)

I hope that helps a little.
IP IP Logged
Chronicide

Quote Chronicide Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:35am
That pretty much confirmed my assumption... it's the server, the standalone CR software, or a custom built software leveraging the runtime.

I'm a software developer, and I've played with the runtime in the past. I wasn't aware that we could distribute it internally. By the looks of things, we'll be going for the custom built software.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate the help.

- Scott

Edited by Chronicide - 07 Aug 2012 at 6:36am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 10:50am
at Ken's site you can see reviews of add on software that may do what you need.
HTH

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version