Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Text limit 256 characters Post Reply Post New Topic
Grifter

Online Status: Offline
Quote Grifter Replybullet Topic: Text limit 256 characters
    Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:04pm
Hi

I think there is a size limit in a text object in crystal reports (V9) to 256. Is there any way of changing this or manipualting to allow it to at least double in size?

I cannot do string concatenation as the data is returned from functions that are used by other parts of the system and cannot change the string into different parts to concatenate?

I have severe work deadlines to finish this and only came across the problem right now.

Any ideas would be much appreciated?

G

IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 5:59pm
Can't you use a sub report to concatenate and not affect the other parts of the system?
IP IP Logged
Grifter

Quote Grifter Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 7:42am
After a lot of searching and playing about I found a way to solve this. The text field is not limited to 256 characters as I found out, it was the returned value from the function that was only 255 characters. Now this may be helpful for others who are having the problem to note how this was solved.

Even though I had changed the value to return 1000 in the function it was still limiting to 255 characters in the report so naturally thought it was a report text limit but what I actually found was that the sub-report parameters were still holding onto the 255 character limit from the function - it does not refresh automatically. When you right click on the parameters in the list and select show data type I think it is called you will see varchar(255) displayed at the end of the parameter.

Now this made me think the report data value was still 255, which it was, but I was still thinking that this was the limit of the report and not the value from the DB. What I eventually found was that if I do a verify database from the report and then relink the report fields to the sub report then it picked up the new data length value. The function returning the value is called in the report procedure.

I also noticed that on one of the reports (this issue was evident in more than one report) I had to run the script against DB and recreate the report procedure before it picked up the new length value.

So I hope that helps for anyone with a similar problem with the data length of the text field.

G

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version