Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: FTP Connection Post Reply Post New Topic
jjcyeshua

Online Status: Offline
Quote jjcyeshua Replybullet Topic: FTP Connection
    Posted: 11 Sep 2007 at 3:00pm

Hi!

Is it possible to use ftp to locate the datasource, If not is there a way around where i could use a datasource being hosted on a different site.. Thanks again
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 7:43am
I am not sure that FTP will work to hold an open data connection. It seems more geared to gets, puts and file management stuff. However if you have the IP address and assuming you have the necessary permissions, keep in ming that firewalls can be a problem, etc. If those are worked out   you should be able to connect to the datasoure directly. Kind of like you do if you have a separate database server in your business and use an IP address to connect to that server.

If all you want to do is locate the database location, FTP certainly can read files and directories.

As a different method, a few weeks ago someone, on the forum was using VPN to connect to the datasource and run reports. I dont recall the details but my recollection is that they were able to make work and were happy with the outcome.

I use the IP connection method all the time, but  cant speak to the others. Perhaps someone will be able to offer other solutions to remote datasource connections.

Regards,

John W.

IP IP Logged
jjcyeshua

Quote jjcyeshua Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 1:48pm

Thanks John. I tried using FTP, but just like you said it cannot hold data connection. So whenever i try to access the datasource (in this case MS ACCESS) it downloads the file into internet temp folder. I think I'm gonna try and ask for a VPN. Thanks for that suggestion...

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version