Message Icon Topic: Database login - Infoview/BO/CR Post Reply Post New Topic
rsoby

Online Status: Offline
Quote rsoby Replybullet Topic: Database login - Infoview/BO/CR
    Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 7:50am
Relative newby to the whole BO/CR world -
and tried to find this in any other threads
I create a report in CR on my machine using Business views -
It works fine - then I use the Centra management Control of INFOView to load the report to a folder.  The report has the data connection as part of the business view.
Now when I go to this report in the folder - I get a "failed to open connection" error

Is there more to this process??
rich_soby@yahoo.com
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 5:30pm
This is an issue on the report server.  Are you using Crystal Report Server or BusinessObjects Enterprise?  In either case, the server that processes the report (where you published the report to) must be able to access the database.  This means that the following must be configured:

1.  Database client must be installed.  If the db is Oracle, this includes having the appropriate entries in the TNSNames.ora file.
2.  If this is a SQL Server or file-based database, the user ID that the reporting services use MUST have access to the server/folder/files where the database is located.
3.  If you're using an ODBC connection, that same connection must be set up on the report server.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
rsoby

Quote rsoby Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2007 at 7:59pm
Thanks for the response -
We solved it, but it is an unusual solution -
We are using the BO enterprise, and Oracle. The TNS names was set.
We tried building an identical ODBC connection (also Oracle seerver connection) on the BO server - no luck.
Then we built a data connection on the server, and did all the rest on the client - voila -
Now it makes no sense since the client is working on the server - but it seems that unless you build the data connection on the server itself - no joy.
Figure that.

Rich
rich_soby@yahoo.com
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 8:22am
That's odd because we haven't had this problem at all.  But then, we're using Native Oracle instead of ODBC.  Is there a specific reason why you're using ODBC?  It's slower and has some limitations in Crystal that the native connection doesn't have.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
rsoby

Quote rsoby Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 10:38am
No - I've used both the native Oracle and ODBC.  same results
I have the Oracle native drivers in the ODBC build admin tool, my server admin guy did not. Is there another way to build a data source beyond the Admin Tool??
It seems that the data source had to be build by the Admin authorized person  - even though my user id on the server has admin rights.
rich_soby@yahoo.com
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 10:46am
I'm confused.... Are your reports connecting to the database through ODBC?  Or are you selecting "Oracle Server" for your database connection when you connect to the tables in the Database Expert?  Oracle Server provides a native Oracle connection to the report without having to use ODBC.  In this situation you do not have to use the admin tool to set up a connection.  If you would like to move your report off of ODBC to the native connection, use "Set Location" on the database menu.

If you have to use ODBC, then someone has to create the ODBC connection on the server with the exact same name (could potentially point to a different DB thought...) in the ODBC Admin Tool.  Just having it in the report doesn't actually create the connection, it just links to an existing connection.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
rsoby

Quote rsoby Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 12:52pm
I'm using the Business Objects - Business Views
As such I can build a data source in the BV Manager - this is where I have my problems

In Business View Manager (BO server) - log on to server required
1) I build a data connection (ODBC, Native Oracle - does not matter both react same way) {build connection}
2) I buld a Data Foundation - referencing the data connection {selects tables - and can add relationships}
3) I build a Business element - referencing the data foundation {select table elements}
4) I build the business view - referencing the Business element {seems to just create a package}

At this point there is nothing to see - no way to validate the logic of what I slung together - just hope I got it right

In Crystal reports (CR server - also BO enterprise server) - log on to server required
1) I select blank report
2) I select the BV view I built
3) I select elements from the field explorer
4) I preview the report - good results
5) I save the report to a folder

Then I goto INFOView (this is also called the Central Managment Console (BO Server)) - where I have full admin rights

1) I select either folder or object - either works but we tend to go right to the folder
2) I select ADD - use browse to goto the folder I saved report in (on my desktop)
3) this places the rpt file in the folder on the server
I goto folder - select the report and hit preview
it goes to
and gives me
Error
Failed to open the connection. test_oracle Details: [Database Vendor Code: 12154 ]

When I use the data connection that the ADMIN user built (same ODBC or Oracle native connection, same user ID and PW (Mine) - it all works fine

This BO Server stuff is driving me nuts

rich_soby@yahoo.com
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 3:27pm

Ahhh!  Now I understand better.  You didn't mention the business view in your initial posts.  That makes a BIG difference.  Also, InfoView and the CMC are two completely different pieces of software.

Yes, the Business View has to be on the production server.  However, you don't necessarily have to "build" it there.  If you or the system admin have access to the "Publishing Wizard", you may be able to publish the report AND the Business View at the same time.  I haven't worked much with Business Views, so I can't guarantee this will work, though.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
rsoby

Quote rsoby Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 8:00pm
well the software I have is a client tool and therefore all the work is done on the server. But it seems that the data connection must actually be done by the admin login - We have found this to work - don't know why, but it does so we will do it that way.
Just wondered if anyone else had run into it
Seems there is not a lot out on Bus Views or that process - still kinda an arcane artform.

As soon as I can get the client off the BV kick and move him to web intelligence I will - there are some limits in what I can do in universes - but there is some real "effort" required to do BVs

Thanks for the conversation

Rich

Edited by rsoby - 10 Sep 2007 at 8:00pm
rich_soby@yahoo.com
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version