Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Licensing Post Reply Post New Topic
ckapilla

Online Status: Offline
Quote ckapilla Replybullet Topic: Licensing
    Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 6:09pm
Hi,

this isn't really about data access per se, but I didn't know where else to post it. It is not at all clear to me whether the license for CR XI Developer allows the developer to publish a report on the "WORLD WIDE" web. I find their terminology very confusing when they discuss this.

thanks

Chris K
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 10:53pm
Yes, you can build websites and publish reports within that website with CR Developer. And I also agree that their licensing can be confusing.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
ckapilla

Quote ckapilla Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 11:20pm
Thanks Brian. I thought I saw a couple days ago (I thought it was written by you) that with CR XI the licensing now required the CR XI server if it is to be used on a website. I'm glad to hear that is not the case.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 11:44pm
That's only for a high volume website. Generally, for small to medium size companies, they use CR Dev to build the website and see how performance goes. If it starts crashing due to too many concurrent users requesting reports, then they upgrade to CR Server.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2007 at 8:52am

Okay Brian, I need to see if you can help me understand the licensing issue as it relates to the web. I have struggled to understand the CR license system.  I personally believe BO has made their license structure far too complicated.

As I understand, I can develop reports for the web and deploy them. If I am developing for a third party, which is my business, that person must own a license for what (?) version of CR.  Is this even true?

Also I understand that outside of the Report Server the number of concurrent connections that CR supports is very small (somewhere in the area of 5). I also understand, that given the way connections to the CR report is handled that the number of concurrent connections is further reduced from  even this small number. If that is true then trying to deploy a report outside of the server is going to be an exercise in frustration. So what is the hype and what is the truth? 

This licensing structure is entirely different from that for  thick client or windows forms applications; where these same restrictions do not exist. Also the thick client reports are not "limited" in the matter of concurrent users.

Do you know of a way to deploy reports to a shared web hosting site that does not directly support CR. The need for the merge modules to installed with a license code seems to work against people like myself, who would like a more realistic web deployment method. Most of the businesses I develop for are small businesses who used shared web hosting, but would like web based reporting for minimal cost.

Finally, none of what I just said comes from you, so feel free to set the record straight.

Regards,

John W.

IP IP Logged
ckapilla

Quote ckapilla Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2007 at 10:23am
John,

thanks for joining in on this discussion and asking for more details. I am especially interested in the details of the limits on concurrent users. In particular what constitutes a "concurrent user"? SQL Server 2000 MSDE had a limit of 5 concurrent queries but that would translate to quite a large number of people viewing a website at the same time, because the execution time of the SQL queries is such a miniscule fraction of the time a person is viewing a page. Brian, can you elaborate on the specifics here as they relate to CR?  Thanks.

Chris K
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version