Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Help needed on a formula!! Post Reply Post New Topic
duggie

Online Status: Offline
Quote duggie Replybullet Topic: Help needed on a formula!!
    Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:49am
Hi, I need help on splitting up a text field that contains email addresses.  Basically, I have a field which can contain one email address, or multiple email addresses, seperated by a semi colon (;).  Each listing starts with a 4 character prefix and the end of the email addresses is dictated  by a colon character (:).  For example,

Xls:Jmoore20@doncaster.com;kperkins20@doncaster.com;mmcgann20@doncaster.com:DON007 Monthly Cons Issue Report

Xls:kbrown20@doncaster.com:DON015 Doncasters Monthly Issue Report Maintenance

So, the first 4 characters can be ignored, as well as the text after the (:) and where each email is divided by a (;) this could be turned into a carriage return?

In order for me to extract all of these email addresses and put it into an excel spreadsheet for marketing purposes, I would like the report to split the addresses so that they appear as follows:

I have tried using a combination of trim, join, filter formulas but I'm just sending my head into a spin!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
Keikoku

Online Status: Offline
Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:04am
Approach each step logically.

I have a field which can contain one email address, or multiple email addresses, seperated by a semi colon (;). Each listing starts with a 4 character prefix and the end of the email addresses is dictated by a colon character (:). For example,

-Each e-mail is separated by a semi-colon
-Each contains a 4 character prefix
-list of e-mails ends with a colon

Assuming it is a single text field and it will always be this format, you would do the following in order:

1. get the index of the colon, starting from index t (just after the first colon so you don't count it)
2. take the substring from 4 to the index of the colon - 1 and split on semi-colons, and assign that to a temp array variable
3. for each item in the array, append it to a temp string var and add ChrW(13) to the end of each item.

You should end up with a huge multi-line textbox with one e-mail on each line. Though after trying that, I exported to excel (data-only) and it was still one line. I then tried exporting the entire report and it showed up properly, for which I copied the contents of the box and pasted it in another spreadsheet and it worked fine.

Edited by Keikoku - 22 Mar 2011 at 3:16am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version