Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Get matching address for selected parameter Post Reply Post New Topic
_Dave_

Online Status: Offline
Quote _Dave_ Replybullet Topic: Get matching address for selected parameter
    Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:12am
Hello,

I'm a newbie using Crystal Reports 12.  I think this should be simple, but I haven't figured it out yet.  I'm designing a report that accesses our database for the most up-to-date customer list, then asks the user to select which customer they want to view (parameter field).  Once they have selected which customer, I want to update the report with data specific for that customer, such as their address for example.  The parameter works, but the report is generated with that customer replicated one time for every customer but with every customer's address one time. So instead of a one page report for that customer, I get 12,000 pages of useless info.

How do I select only the address that matches the parameter selected?

Thanks,
Dave
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:17am
Most likely your table join is incorrect.
Go into the Databse Expert Links tab and verify correct it.

Edited by DBlank - 18 Jan 2011 at 6:17am
IP IP Logged
_Dave_

Quote _Dave_ Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:44am
All data is from the same table.  I am not joining with another table.  How do I select only the data from the desired record?  Is there a formula I need to use including the selected parameter in order to only get the data for this customer?  I'm new at this and just learning how to use Crystal Reports.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:49am
so when you indiccated that 'the parameter works' you meant that it is a dynamic paramter that is correctly pulling in the list of customers and you can choose from them?
You also have to use the select expert to tell it that the param should filter the data. Params do not do anything alone. They are used so you can get input from a user and then define different elements of the report. In some cases you may not want the param value to filter but maybe alter grouping or highlighting or do something else...
Go into the select expert and add your select criteria there basde on your parameter...
{table.customer_field}={?ParameterName}

Edited by DBlank - 18 Jan 2011 at 6:51am
IP IP Logged
_Dave_

Quote _Dave_ Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:55am
I did forget to use the select expert to select only the requested records.  I thought it was something simple.

Thanks for the help.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version