Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Displaying Pictures Post Reply Post New Topic
mileskb

Online Status: Offline
Quote mileskb Replybullet Topic: Displaying Pictures
    Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 11:49am
It seems like this would have come up before, but I could not find it in search..

The last page of my report has what are referred to as attachments.  Mostly graphics that have been loaded into the database for each record.

Is there any way to display them in a report ?  I can display the filename, and path and all that... just can't figure out how to display the pictures themselves.
IP IP Logged
Cordellv

Online Status: Offline
Quote Cordellv Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 2:08pm
Here is how we display pictures (your database may be different):

We create a default graphic image that says NO PICTURE AVAILABEL.jpg

Go to INSERT PICTURE
Select the No Picture Graphic .JPG image with OPEN from your folder where you created it.
Place the default picture on the body of the report where you want it with the orange square.

Here are the steps to add the actual picture to the report (you will have to keep scrolling down below because it is not showing the screen dumps from my handout here so it is leaving big gaps in the text.  Just keep scrolling down past the gaps):

Ø  Right click on the default Picture Object that you added to the report.

Ø  Click on Format Graphic

Ø  Select the Picture Tab

Ø  Click on the X-2 Button for Graphic Location

Ø  Enter a formula similar to the one below in formula area that comes up when you click on the X-2 button. ( NOTE: change the district name as appropriate for each district). I drilled down to the District folder and copied the path at the top of the screen (address) to replace for new district. Make sure to keep the last \ at the end of the Pictures and the quotes in all the right places. Here is an exampl of that path from one of our school districts:

"\\Esd189-prog-01\Marysville (31025) \Export\Pictures\" & trim({STUDENT.OTHER-ID})&".jpg"

That will point the Crystal Report to the Export Pictures folder:

Ø  The file size of the pictures should not be bigger that 10 or 12 kb.  You need to request that from the vendor.  There are also programs on the internet that you can use to reduce the size of the pictures if you already have them and they are too big.  Just go to GOOGLE and put in “REDUCE PICTURE SIZE”.   Here are some example programs that are free.

http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

http://files.uberdownloads.com/apps/gimp/index.php

http://picasa.google.com/features.html

Here is an example of 2 files where I reduced the picture size in a folder where they were too large and the report was giving us a buffer overload error when we ran the report.  I used the  IMAGE OPTIMIZER program I found on the internet listed above:

Ø  There is a “Can Grow” feature that needs to be turned off every time you visit this window. If you modify the location of the graphic, the toggle re-checks that check box back by default (even though it was off when you first edit the object). With the check box checked your pictures will be all sorts of strange sizes.  If you  un-check the check box after the location is edited, the non-uniform picture sizes will not appear.

THE CAN GROW CHECK BOX MUST ALWAYS BE UNCHECKED FOR PICTURES TO WORK

Ø  EXAMPLE OF THE REPORT

Here is an example of the Lunch Card report after the picture was inserted

DESIGN

PRINT PREVIEW

THAT IS THE END OF THE HANDOUT AND SCREEN DUMPS

You can probably tell this is from my training handout and there are screen dumps in this handout showing where the things talked about are found.  If you want me to, I would be happy to email you the handout.  I dont see how to attach it here.

Cordell

Making Things Better One Day At A time
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version