Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Reporting Using CRXI and Epicor Vista - HELP Post Reply Post New Topic
roboticapps1

Online Status: Offline
Quote roboticapps1 Replybullet Topic: Reporting Using CRXI and Epicor Vista - HELP
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:59am
<>@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Background info:
Epicor Vista 8.03.406
Crystal Reports 11.0.0.1282
Very new and unfamiliar person learning to create a report from Vista using CRXI.

I am looking to create a custom report from Vista. I have been reading all the documentation given to us from Epicor and I have also been watching the tutorial videos. Currently, I am having problems formatting the report in Crystal Reports. This is to assume that I've done all the other steps correctly. Please help if I am wrong but these are the steps I have taken:

1. I first created a new Business Activity Query (BAQ). For this explanation I will title it COMPANY-TestReport with the description of Test Report.
2. I clicked on Phrase Builder and the tables that I selected are InvcHead and Customer
3. Next, I went to the Display section and I only included
Customer.Name
InvcHead.InvoiceNum
InvcHead.InvoiceDate
InvcHead.InvoiceAmt
InvcHead.InvoiceBal
4. I didn't change the Headings section
5. I Analyzed the BAQ and it had no syntax errors so I tested it and all the data was visible, exactly the way I want.
6. I didn't change anything else because I could see that the data that I want was clearly queried, so I saved and exited the BAQ

<This is where I start the BAQ Report Designer>
7. I open the BAQ Report Designer and I click new. I enter
Report ID: InvcRpt
Description: Invoice Report
BAQ ID: COMPANY-TestReport
Crystal Report: InvcRpt.rpt
8. I don't change the List section but I create two Option Fields to give me a range of dates that look like
Option Field               FieldLabel     Compare Operator        Data Type
InvcHead.InvoiceDate   Invc Date   >=                date
InvcHead.InvoiceDate   Invc Date   <=                date
9. I didn't put any filters in because I wanted to test the report to see if everything worked before working any further but I did put two sorts in, Date/Num or Num/Date.

<Testing the BAQ Report>
10. I clicked action and BAQ Report Actions and followed the recommended options in the book.
11. I saved everything and wanted to see the progress I had so far so I clicked Action and Test Report Form. Sure enough, the Option Fields showed up for me to put a range in dates. I put the date range in and clicked Print Preview to see how the date looked. Strangely, no data was visible on the Print Preview. At first I thought that no data was suppose to show up because it was just testing the form so I moved on.
12. I generated sample data and received a message saying that sample data generated successfully. (a XML file)
13. So then I clicked Design Crystal Report. Once I in Crystal Report, no data was on the report. Then I assumed that I need to import the sample data so I can manipulate the report to how it should look. So I clicked Database Expert and then Create New Connection and in here I didn't know whether to use the folder OLD DB (ADO) or the folder XML. I decided to try the XML folder first because the file in an XML file. I located the sample data and then unchecked Specify Schema File because no XSD file was available. When I tried to import the data, it kept giving me an error that no XSD file was found. So I figured I couldn't import the data through the XML option and decided to try the OLE DB (ADO) option. This case left me more confused with Providers to choose from and not knowing what to choose, I stopped there.

I am currently at a loss of things to do. I'm sure I created the BAQ correctly but I can't seem to get the Report to work correctly. I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is the best way or even the correct way for me to pull a report. If anyone can critique me or show me a better workflow or show me flaws in my procedure, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading and I apologize for such a lengthy post.

Edited by roboticapps1 - 20 Oct 2010 at 11:09am
IP IP Logged
althomas

Online Status: Offline
Quote althomas Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:28am
Hi,
 I am not an IT person, so please excuse me if i am saying anything dumb but We're impementing Epicor ERP as well and i am sort of going through the same problem as you. But i was able to go one step further than you. I used "ADO.NET (Xml) and selectecd the file part where the reports are normally written. My problem is when i deploy the BAQ, it wont let me save in the Epicor directory where the reports nomally pull from, therefore it's a blank report. But try the ADO.NET connection see if you get any further?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version