Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Logon Failed Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
JoerTX

Online Status: Offline
Quote JoerTX Replybullet Topic: Logon Failed
    Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:00am
I am using 2008 with a dotNet app, using a Click Once deployment.

At my account there are 5 users who can successfully install Crystal 2008 with click once. However one cannot. The user gets a error when the CAB attempts to register PrintReport.dll. To get around this problem, we downloaded the 2008 SP2 and installed it on that workstation.

My app will now install.

However, no reports will run. A "Logon Failed" error occurs. I have googled this error code and apparently it is the Crystal version of "check engine light on".

Note that this does not occur on any of the other user installations at the site. Only for this user, on this machine.

They have totally rebuilt the machine, reformated the drive and reinstalled Windows.

For the love of god, does anyone have a clue as to why one user in five cannot successfully logon to the database while running a report?!

Pissed off in Houston,

JRich
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 9:31am
Dear PO in Houston...:)

Generally when this happens it often has to do with the individuals permissions to the backend database. That is the reason for the logon error. Those can be controlled a variety of ways anymore so it is hard to suggest one thing. Still I would suggest you look there if you have had a successful install.

If the user has been accessing the data all along then obviously what I just said may not the way to troubleshoot this out.

Hope this may be of help

Regards,
John W.
IP IP Logged
JoerTX

Quote JoerTX Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:21pm

This would be a reasonable conclusion to draw...except for the following 2 facts.

1.The reports are run from within an application that already successfully logged on the the database. Everyone uses the same "alias" user ID/Password. Using the alias, the user's instance of the application can log into the database. In fact the user can do anything with the app (ie. Create, Read, Update, Delete records). That same ID/Password pair are used to set the logon for each crystal report. Except when crystal passes them to the server, a Logon Failed event occurs.

2. Of the five work stations, only one will not work. Any user running the app from this work station can use the app, but cannot run reports.

Today I visited the client and installed my app on an identical workstation to the one already exhibiting the problem. That workstation will run the app, but when a report is run, the Logon Failed error is thown.

Is their a compatibility issue with Crystal Reports 2008 and Windows XP SP3?

It would appear to be the case.

HELP!

Joe Rich

IP IP Logged
JoerTX

Quote JoerTX Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 3:50am
Another fact. Yesterday I tried to deploy to another workstation that is the same configuration as the one that will not run Crystal Reports. Crystal fails the same way on the new workstation. So four older work stations work fine. Two new ones do not.

Does anyone know how to contact crystal for support? As near I can tell, they do not provide developer support, but instead farm out questions to their developer community.

HELP
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 4:05am
Joe

I run CR2008 apps on XP Pro Sp3, Vista, Win7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions) without issue.

I have on occasion seen issues with IP's being block, McAffee antivirus has some issues with blocking particular apps and ports, Window Firewall blocking particular apps etc. I would suggest looking at those kinds of setting on the new machines as compared to the old ones as part of the trouble shooting apps.

Since the app is installs and runs, I am guessing the issue is not CR.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Regards,
John W.

IP IP Logged
JoerTX

Quote JoerTX Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 6:38am

That was an excellent idea. But it turns out these machines do not have their firewalls turned on.

I am losing what little faith I have in Crystal. Perhaps Terlerik's reporting system will be better behaved.

IP IP Logged
nick81

Quote nick81 Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:51pm
Hey there!

I am having the same issue with the Logon failed error occuring on a few workstations. Except in my case, over 20 PC's work without any problem, and only 1 is having this specific issue. All PC's have the EXACT same configuration, use the same antivirus, have Windows Firewall disabled. The IT already tried formatting the PC and nothing seems to work.

Could you please let me know if you find a solution for this problem as it's driving me nuts!!
IP IP Logged
JoerTX

Quote JoerTX Replybullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 12:49am
Well dude, no luck. I have come to the opinion that while Crystal Reports has severe problems. With their product and their support (which does not exist).

I will have to bite the bullet and convert to Telerik.....

I can't believe these morons conduct support the way they do. I think that SAP must be abandoning the Crystal Report products....
IP IP Logged
JoerTX

Quote JoerTX Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 3:30pm
Dead
The nightmaire continues...

I have been working with Crystal Support since late August of this year. Their support is out of India and the first engineer's English was so bad I could not understand what she was saying to me most of the time.

The second engineers is more proficient in English and we have spent tens of hours working this issue. NO ONE AT CRYSTAL CAN EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM. The have extensively examined the configuration of the problem workstations, but can not figure out the Logon Failed error.

Apparently there are conditions (undefined) where in Crystal reports will not work on XP machines and no one knows why.

I will keep you informed if there are any breakthroughs

JR
IP IP Logged
JoerTX

Quote JoerTX Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:57am
TongueProblem Resolved
Turns out Crystal 2008 (and probably other versions) REQUIRES SQL Native Client (SQLNCLI.dll) be deployed to the work station if you expect to do "pull" reports. By pull reports, I mean reports that use stored procs, for example.

My workstations that had SQL Native client worked. Those that didn't threw the "logon failed" error.

FYI, the SQL Server 2008 specific version of SQL Native client will not work. It is SQLNCLI10.dll and Crystal is looking for SQLNCLI.dll.

SQL Native Client should normally be deployed with MDAC, so if you have this problem, try reinstalling MDAC on that work station.

Hope this helps some other poor soul.

Good Luck,

Joe Rich
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version