Announcements
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Announcements
Message Icon Topic: New book cover for review(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: New book cover for review
    Posted: 21 Jul 2007 at 12:17am
The new book is going to the printer on August 1st and I'm having a tough time deciding on the book cover. The hard part is finding a decent graphic to use for the background. I search the stock photo websites for something that looks appropriate, but each website has thousands of images to browse through. Man, it takes a long time to find anything on those sites.

Here is my latest cover design. I have a week to decide whether I want to keep it or find something else. Any comments?

Pre-order it by clicking here: Crystal Reports Encyclopedia

Edited by BrianBischof - 21 Jul 2007 at 5:13pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2007 at 8:07am
Sense you asked....

The graphic looks good, it has kind of a Crystal appearance. The shade of green is a bit too bright for my taste. But then for a book to be useful it must be opened; the color on the cover does not matter all that much I suppose. However the upside for me is that the green is bright enough I could find it even in my mess of a work area.

Best wishes on the release of the book.

Regards,

John  W.

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2007 at 11:51am
Thanks John. Yeah, I had someone else say that I should tone down the brightness of the green. But a designer told me that if I do that then it will be harder to read the lettering on the front. There has to be a good contrast. I should play around with it in photoshop a bit and see how it looks.

The bad part is that you never know how it will look when it comes back from the printer. Due to how the inks come out on the day you print, it could be brighter or darker just due to the nature of the printing process. I've seen my existing book with different shades of purple on the cover from the same printer. It's a bit of a gamble either way.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
aquablue94

bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2007 at 6:59am

Well...  I like the cover.  It stands out!  If you want to tone down the color... maybe a little would be fine.. but I think the yellow/green will grab their attention! Clap 

L :)
IP IP Logged
kwsanders

bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 8:42pm
I agree.  The colors and layout are nice.  You could tone it down a little if you like, but otherwise, I would go with it.  Congrats on the printing! Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2007 at 10:50pm
Thanks for the input everyone. I spent a few more hours today reviewing hundreds of stock photos on websites and just can't find anything that really jumps out at me. So it looks like this is the one. I did drop brightness by 20% in Photoshop, so that should help. I'm cranking on the book non-stop between now and August 1st to get it ready for printing. Man, so much to do and so little time....
IP IP Logged
pritamdas24

bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 7:24am
This looks really nice.
When it would be available in India
Regards
Pritam
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 9:09am
Glad you like it! I don't know how long it takes to ship books to India. I guess a month to get there and have the bookstores stock them. That would make it around early October. It would be helpful to pre-order it so that you make sure they send some to your area. 
IP IP Logged
srigul

bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 9:25pm
Clap
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version