Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Urgent - Parameter List Groupings Post Reply Post New Topic
crystalV10

Online Status: Offline
Quote crystalV10 Replybullet Topic: Urgent - Parameter List Groupings
    Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:09am

I am a very new Crystal user and would like some help with what should be a simple task for you seasoned users.

I have a sales database with a large number of cities.  I have created a multiple value parameter so a regional manager can see results for one or more of the cities in his/her region.  I have manaually entered a parameter value called "ALL" that uses a wildcard in the code (like '*') to show data for all cities (assuming they are not filtered out based on other parameters).

What I would like to do is create sets/groups that contain multiple cities.  For example, I want the manager to be able to select "WEST" from the parameter list, which automatically selects the 13 cities in that region.  I would like to avoid using a long 'OR' statement and burying the list of 13 "west" cities in the code.  Is there a way that I can have a central point to define the cities of each region, check if a given field value is contained in the selected region, then do a distinct count of InvoiceID (i.e. only count each unique InvoiceID once, even though one InvoiceID will have multiple ItemID).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have had trouble finding exactly what I was looking for on the help text and online.

Craig

Edited by crystalV10 - 22 Jun 2010 at 6:07am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Online Status: Offline
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:02am
you might try having a 'translation' in the record filtering section of the report, and filter the records.  The distinct count is looking at the aggregates (the sigma) and selecting the distinct count and the grouping.

if you don't use a stored proc, and you don't have a table that lists the cities and regions, then you are going to have to bury the translation somewhere.  It doesn't need to be a bunch of ORs, it could be just 1 string like "|los angeles|las vegas|...|" and you can concatenate different regions together and perhaps append individual cities to that you have 1 big string with some delimiter between each one.  Then in the record selection filter you can check something like:

instr("|"+{table.field}+"|", delimitedString)>0  

this by itself, would filter, you can add it to an IF statement if there is more or it is easier for you.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version